Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2014 Nissan Sentra. Brake pedal very often goes to the

Customer Question
2014 Nissan Sentra. Brake...

2014 Nissan Sentra. Brake pedal very often goes to the floor, no braking ability. Pumping the brakes usually returns some pressure, but not always. Pads are worn but not to point of needing replacement. Non-dealer mechanic suggested master cylinder problem, suggested check dealer for warranty. Warranty in effect for master cylinder but dealer said could not replicate problem, could not find leak, tested and found no problem. But it occurs on a daily basis for me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?

How would that make it go all the way to floor with no braking ability?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. It is the lady who cleans house for me. She is relating the problem to me now. That total loss of brake pedal pressure sure sounds like a master cylinder problem to me though (and to her non-dealer mechanic).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I know from research that this is a problem that many 2014 owners have reported to the NHTSA

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/19/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

OK

The type of problem you are describing is as you suspect, in most cases, this is due to either trapped air in the system or a failing master cylinder. I think before you consider replacing the master cylinder you should try bleeding the brakes starting at the Right rear wheel to see if its only air. If it is the bleed should correct this. If the pedal still fades after doing a bleed then replace the master cylinder.

Any knowledge of the NHTSA complaints of the same problem?

My resources are not listing any NHTSA notices at this time.