Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I installed a radio into my 2010 Nissan frontier. Installed…

Customer Question
I installed a radio...

I installed a radio into my 2010 Nissan frontier. Installed radio and speakers. I didn't have to do any of the wiring because they came with an adapter. Worked fine until today. I put new battery in but now wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The positive side is a little

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Put in new battery and that's about it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/17/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, so what happens when you turn the key to start position?
Do you get a single click? Fast click? Or nothing?
Well I installed the last speaker today. Reconnected the battery. Ran an arrand in it. However when I came back out to turn it on all the instruments started clicking. So I took the negative terminal off the battery and waited a while. Put it back on and it started right up. Got home left it connected for several hours. Went to start it now it won't start like battery is dead.
The battery is brand new
Are the battery terminals tight enough that they don’t move if you try to wiggle them? If so it could be as simple as that.
The battery is brand new. Yes they are
Tha radio install should have no effect on the battery if it’s not running with key off or anything like that
Of course the new battery could be bad also.
Have you performed a voltage drop test?
Yea I drove it autozone place I bought it and they said it was a good battery
Do you have a volt meter?
Is it starting now? Or just clicking?
No
Instruments are clicking when I try and turn on and take out key
just clicking
I mean since I have been working on the radio and speakers I have disconnected the battery a lot in the last week
Since it’s just clicking now, do you have a volt meter so we can do a test?
No volt meter. It clicked earlier just before I took to autozone and they said battery was 100% goodt
I get that it tested good at autozone trust me, but that’s not telling me anything about right now.Do you have a jump pack?
Do I have jumper cables?
Cables are fine if you have another car to jump with.
Once I get it running then what should I do? I mean I got it started earlier. Shop not open and I don't have a ride home tonight
The gauges clicking tells me the battery is weak for some reason. We can confirm it by jumping it off or doing a voltage drop test. If we confirm it’s flat then we need to know why it’s flat by testing the charge rate and making sure it’s. Or a charging issue.
Or = not.
I can do tomorrow will we still be able to chat then?
Sure, I will keep the chat open for up to 7 days even after rating.If you can get a voltmeter from someone also that would be great for tests.
What should the voltmeter read?
Depends what test were doing. I wanna to a drop test and check the alternator drop rate.
Would also code reader work?
Code reader won’t help us for this unfortunately.
I had the car battery disconnected all night and I had taken out the radio fuse. I hooked it back up this morning car started just fine. That was over an hour ago and it still starts. However the radio will not come on anymore. I'm thinking it was the radio killing the battery
You maybe right, we could verify it with a multimeter if you have one?
I have meter now if needed
I have voltmeter that is
Ohm meter or test light is ideal, but there is a way to test with a voltmeter.
You will need a millivolts option on your meter and some sharp leads for the test points on the top of the radio fuse. If you measure across the fuse and pick up any sustained voltage reading with the key off then there is a draw present.
Now you can unplu the radio and see if it’s gone, if so the radio is the culprit on that circuit