Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 xterra that experienced severe loss of power…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 xterra...
I have a 2008 xterra that experienced severe loss of power to accelerator then won’t crank after being turned off as in starter won’t even attempt to turn over check engine light and 4wd light came on when scanned came up with u1000 code. Battery is good. But won’t do anything when key is turned.
Any ideas would be appreciated
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/16/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The U1000, that is what they call a CAN communication code. If you turn the key to the ON position, does the Radiator Fans come on?

No no fans. Appeared that the car went into limp mode with the loss of accelerater prior to being parked and turned off.

Ok.. I am going to tell you what needs to be done for your issue. It's going to be tricky and will require a advanced level scanner... So let me explain..

Is it possible this is the dreaded transmission cooler leaking and mixing with antifreeze? I took radiator cap off but radiator is low so can’t see anything obvious.

I am not going to say it isn't. But this is what you need to do...

The U1000 is what they call a CAN COMMUNICATION CODE. All the control units in your Truck all communicate with each other through what they call the CAN line. This is a communication network through out your truck. If a control unit is not communicating, it will cause a U1000 code. So what needs to be done to determine which control unit is not responding is a CAN communication test. This requires a Special Scanner to do a System call on all control units to see which one is not responding so that control unit could be checked.

That is the Basic Chart of a CAN diagnostics..

So I am afraid this is what you will need to do to isolate which control unit is not communicating for your issue. If the TCM is found to be the one not communicating. Then you may want to investigate the Trans cooler issue for your problem

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

I have access to an advanced scanner that you aretalking about. Way above the advance auto off the shelf ones but it wont be until tomorrow I will possibly get back to you after that.

Sure.. That is fine..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician