Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Nissan Pathfinder - the shifter will not lock in

2002 Nissan Pathfinder -...

2002 Nissan Pathfinder - the shifter will not lock in Park... the shifter can be moved into reverse without depressing the shift lock button on the shifter column handle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

I do not know

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am trying to fix it myself. I have not tried anything yet. I am trying to diagnose the problem but, there is Zero stuff on the internet.

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hI my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today .

did you have any work done on the shifter at all ??

r u there ?

I had to reset my password
I had to reset my password... we have not had any work done on the shifter

is this is the only problem your having with the car ?

the problem is most likely cause by a miss adjustment of the shifter ignition cable

there is a cable that run form the shifter to the ignition cylinder that is what control the removal of the key if the cable is miss adjusted the shifter will move without hitting the brakes

we have figured it out the issue.... by looking at the guts of the shifting mechanics from someone who had pictures on fixing a shifter stuck in park. There is a plastic dog ear piece broken off that the shift pin catches and a grey metal arm the arcs over the shift pin that has also broken off.

ok if that is broken then the cable cannot be adjusted correctly you will need to replace the cable .

that part is what lock the cable in place after it is adjusted

now we have got to figure out if we can order just the internal black plastic housing & the grey metal piece the shift rod is connected to that runs to the igniiton

you have to get the cable it is one part . the metal parts is apart of the shifter unit

do you have any more questions ?

if not please rate the service before you go as this is the only way for me to get credit thanks

Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Nope.... we just got to figure out since there is the broken black plastic piece that is the inner shift guide opening whether to buy the whole shift column unit or just the cable.
I will

just buy the cable

Clifton B.
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech