Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Girlfriend has a 2012 sentra that just stopped working…

Customer Question
My Girlfriend has a...

My Girlfriend has a 2012 sentra that just stopped working one day. The mechanics said it was the ECM. I sent the ecm to get repaird and it turns out that the ECM is fine. I've read that the ECM relay can die but I'm having trouble finding it. Any idea where it's hiding?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?

Brand new battery, 60,000 miles on car

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

She is out of money for mechanics. I'm a VW guy and I've always worked on my cars, but this is a little outside my pay grade I put in a new fuel pump on the advice of another mechanic that didn't do anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/16/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 5 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

The ECM is built into the integrated power distribution module (IPDM) in the engine compartment. This is a fuse box with integrated relays. The relays are not replaced separately and only replaced with IPDM.

Sorry meant to say ECM Relay is part of IPDM.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

the car seems like it wants to start at first, then clicks a bunch. The mechanic said it was the ecm, which it wasn't. Should I check the grounds or replace the ipdm?

The IPDM relays go bad and require the complete usit to go bad. Do you get check engine codes?

I just tried. I'm getting no link. This is probably why the mechanic thought it was the ecm

It is most likely the ECM relay in the IPDM then not powering the system on.

Pulled another ipdm today and put it in. Same issue. No codes. Found out about a ipdm test that goes through every system and I still cant hear or feel the fuel pump starting. Still no connection to code reader. Any other ideas?

I will have to opt out on this one for another expert that may have more ideas why the ECM will not communicate for you. Please do not respond until another expert responds or it locks questions to me. Thanks.

Nissan Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 5 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

How about we test actual circuits, we should obviously test the DLC and see which wire is not allowing us to communiticate. Give me the voltage reading of each wire and color of the DLC data link connector. Also, give me the voltage reading of the TPS sensor disconnected harness side, thank you. That would give me a clear issue to look into.

Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis