Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2011 Nissan Sentra runs and transmission works but has…

Customer Question
My 2011 Nissan Sentra...

My 2011 Nissan Sentra runs and transmission works but has nearly zero power. Check engine and VDS lights are on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Engine light code showed mass air flow sensor, but was running well. So I cleaned sensor and while reattaching battery cable accidently touched socket to ECM and VDS light is now on and has no power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

One thing that is common on these body style Sentra's was air intake tubes splitting. Did you check that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zees-YoXIKs&feature=youtu.be

would that cause the engine to have zero power? Also did not have any performance problems until short circuited the battery.

absolutely, I would start by inspecting that intake duct for splits.

OK Could it be the ECM?

If you had a bad ecm, you would not be able to communicate with it and would have codes which could indicate a bad Ecm. Since you have a Check Engine light on with the car running, do you know what codes you have?

The only code I had was the Mass Air flow before I cleaned the sensor and reconnected battery can not have it checked again due to the vehicle having zero power it will move but barely.

Did you erase the codes and see if they came back?

I just found a large crack in the back of the intake duct. ill try replacing that.

You got it..

Don't forget to clear the codes after you replace the intake tube. If you don't have a scanner you can clear codes by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins, and then connecting it.

Let me know how you make out..

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 months ago

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician