Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 maxima. Trying to start the car this morning,

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 maxima. Trying to start the car this morning, and the brake pedal will barely move and the car will attempt to start, but will not fully start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are slightly corroded. Is that some thing I can clean myself?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything. I did some reading and others have had similar issues and it ends up being the brake light switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/9/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Just so I am clear, the engine is cranking but not starting?

It will crank briefly, and the display flashes, but won't fully start. Radio will come on.

Ok

It's possible this is a problem with the brake light switch, but I think I would start with a jump start. Let the donor car stay on it for about 15 minutes, then attempt to start it. You mentioned the cables have some corrosion, this could be causing a poor connection between the battery and the starter. Give the jump start a try and let me know.

Thanks.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

I was wondering if you got a chance to try a jump start with this or not?

I did jump start it. That didn't do anything.

I just wanted to eliminate it as a problem. If you are certain you had a good connection on the battery, the next step is to look at and see if you have brake lights. Also, check and see if you can get the shift out of park.

No brake lights. Can't shift out of park. Brake pedal won't depress.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I don't work Sundays. Do you still need help?
If you do, can you tell me if you have other lights on the car? Headlights and what not? Only brake lights are out?