Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I’m having a no crack no start on a 2002 Nissan Maxima se..

Customer Question
I’m having a no...

I’m having a no crack no start on a 2002 Nissan Maxima se.. when I turn the key, it’s just a buzzing sound. I changed the inhibitor thinking that would correct the issue, but still turn the key, just a buzzing sound. What could it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

In park, automatic. I should have mentioned that

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked battery(good) starter(good) starter inhibitor(replaced)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you have a test light so we can do some testing?

No I do not

Ok

Can you tell me how you tested the battery and starter?

Used a battery tester for the battery and a volt meter on the starter to check to make sure there is voltage going to the starter

Ok, a volt meter will work.

Do you have voltage going to the small black/red stripped wire at the starter with the key in the start position?

There no click indicating that there’s a problem with the starter. Also checked to see if there was oil in the engine just Incase that was the issue and the engine was not turning over

Understand, do you know if you are getting power on the black/red wire or not?

I am

Ok

If you are getting power on the trigger wire for the starter solenoid, and you have battery power on the large wire at the starter, then the starter has to be the problem. You have everything there that it should have. Since it's not clicking it's likely the problem is the starter solenoid itself causing the problem. I would replace the starter to solve this.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Thank you, I’ll attempt that and go from there

You are very welcome, Its not clicking like usual because the solenoid on the starter is the failed part.

I was wondering how you made out with this and if you have any more questions for me?

Just waiting on the part. The store didn’t have it, I’m waiting for it to arrive

Gotcha, well let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician