Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Nissan Sentra gxe won't start.. the cam position sensor…

Customer Question
Hey my 2001 Nissan...

Hey my 2001 Nissan Sentra gxe won't start.. the cam position sensor was unplugged

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

While the car was being started and now nothing happens when you turn the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

No there are no codes, the engine light comes on but no trouble codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I am working on the car my self.and already has new starter, alternator, coils, spark plugs, fuel pump, ECU and have already check all the fuses

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/7/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Please explain what is going on exactly? I understand the vehicle turns over but won't start, but what is going on with the cam sensor unplugged? Did you plug it back in and try it? Also are the spark plugs wet with fuel?

When it was last running, was there a Service Engine Soon light on?

When it was last running yea it had the engine light on for the o2 sensor.. the car doesn't crank over the only thing that happens is the fuel pump primes but there isn't even any click from the starter
everything is plugged back in

So the engine does not turn over when you try to start it? Does it make any noise?

Yea doesn't turn over and no noise just the fuel pump
For a little while before it stopped making any noises there was a clicking coming from the steering column

Did you disconnect the battery or anything recently before this happened?

Yea I had the battery unplugged because I had the car parked because I was having problems with the ECU and crank position sensor.. I changed the ECU n got the car running again drove it about 10 min to store it but it was bogging so around that time is when I tried to start it and had the cam position sensor unplugged after that it wouldn't start, like I said I had the clicking from the steering column then nothing after that

Then you may have a After Market alarm that is now keeping the car from turning over. Do you know if you have a remote start in the car?

I changed the crank position sensor after it quit, hoping that would be the problem but it wasnt.. didn't change anything
No there is no remote start
Not that I know of

Ok. You will need to take a peak under the drivers side dash area. You are looking to see if there is any after market wiring or zip ties holding wires under there. If there is, then you have a after market alarm in the car. That is keeping the starter from engaging. That would have been the clicking you heard as well. So what you will need to do is locate the after market alarm control unit and just unplug the one main connector to the control unit.

take a peak and let me know what you find..

Okay I will check, hold on

k

It's doesn't look there there is

All the dash warning lights come on when you turn the key into the ON position right?

For like the first 3-5 seconds yea

What do you mean? They come on and then you loose all electrical power?

No no the lights all come on then the airbag light and o/d light go away everything else stays up

Check your battery terminal connections and you may want to try to jump start the car. It could be a battery issue or a connection problem at the battery..

It has new battery n terminal wires, I've tried to boost it in the past but didn't help I could try it again but I don't think it will do anything my battery still has a good charge

Are any of the battery terminal ends after market? Was the starter tapered with at all?

What do you mean tapered with? And yes but no.. they aren't original but I replaced them with identical terminals
The cars was running with new starter and terminals.. only stopped after the cam sensor was unplugged

That would not keep the engine from turning over though. That would just keep it from starting. If the engine is not turning over, check your connections at the starter and battery. Especially if you have low power, or power cuts out.

My power is fine I just am not getting any to the starter

If you put the car in drive, and hold the key in the crank position and slowly put into Neutral see if the starter engages...

Okay one sec
Still nothing and I even tried boosting it again
It's still doing the same thing, nothing changed

Can you take a snap shot picture under the drivers dash for me? The only thing I can see causing this is if you have a after market alarm..

I already tried earlier when you asked me to take a look, said the file was too big.. I'll try though

I see it.. did you look further back? Do you have a Volt meter?

No I don't have a volt meter anymore, I'll take a photo of further back

How about a test light to see if the starter is getting power? You want to check with the key in the crank position at that gray connector

Yeah.. I don't see any zip ties. Is the gray connector plugged in at the startee?
Do you have a test light?
Yea I checked that plug and I just picked up a multimeter

Do you have power when the key is in the ON position?

I mean Crank Position!!

Ok which wire do I need to check?
If it's the grey wire going to the starter it doesn't have any power going to it
With the key in the crank position? Not on
Yea I had my brother in-law turn it to crank while I checked it and there's absolutely no power

Ok.. Can you read a wiring diagram? Cause we are going to need to go through the starter circuit to see what is going on..

For the most part yes I can

Then let me share it with you. Hang on.

I would start with checking power at the PNP relay and see if your getting power when the key is turned and also see if you are getting the constant power from the 10 amp fuse to the relay.

I am sure you checked all fuses? Right?

I checked all fuses and relays.. what is the PNP relay? And which 10amp fus, my ignition fuse?

The relay is located on the passenger side of the engine bay area. The fuse is located on the inside fuse box

Okay I'll check as soon as I'm done work

ok

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician