Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Sometimes when I drive for a few miles, the car stalls when…

Customer Question
Sometimes when I drive...

Sometimes when I drive for a few miles, the car stalls when I come to a complete stop and the brake light, the battery light, and the check engine light comes on. The car has to be shifted to park, turned off and turned back on before I can drive it. I've had my battery replaced by a Nissan dealer earlier this year And had my brake sensor, cam sensor, and crankshaft sensor as well as my spark plugs replaced The ECU has been reset And I'm still having these issues

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

When the car stalls, the lights are on and solid. Once I turn the car off and turn it back on the lights are no longer there

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've gone to a Nissan dealer a month ago and they said I needed to replace my cam and crankshaft sensors. I had an independent mechanic replace those sensors and my spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've changed my battery earlier this year as well so it should be under warranty

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, do any of those lights come on BEFORE it stalls? Or are you just seeing them after the car has died and the ignition is still in the ON position?
It's the second, meaning the lights (check engine, battery, brake, and TCS lights) always come on after the car dies and the ignition is still on. (I've tried to attach a clip showing what happens but I'm not sure if it went through)
I've copied the link to the text file attached
I cannot view the file right now. Not until Sunday as I am out of pocket and using my phone.Generally when you see check engine, brake, TCS lights when stalking it’s due to s faulty cam sensor. You wouldn’t generally ever see a battery light unless there was a charging issue.Does it just shut off like you turned the key off?
No It does not shut off but the best way I can describe it is that it stutters, like the power appears to shut off for a milisecond and then it's back on with those specific lights on. The car will still be on drive and foot on the brake pedal but it won't move unless I shift it back to park, turn off the car and then turn it back on,
But it ONLY happens at stops right? Not when driving?
That is correct
In hat case I would start with a closed throttle position relearning after cleaning the throttle body and see if that resolves the issue.
If you need further assistance just let me know and I’ll be happy to help.I will leave the question open for 7 days even after rating in case you have follow up concerns.Thanks.
Thank you. I will try your suggestion and follow up if necessary
Your welcome, please just remember to leave a rating!

Hey there, checking back to see how you made out? and if you need additional help.

let me know, thanks.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician