Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Nissan Xtrail 2003 petrol (NT30) with 199,900Km…

Customer Question
I have a Nissan...

I have a Nissan Xtrail 2003 petrol (NT30) with 199,900Km mileage. The fuel gauge is not showing correct readuing and moves from quarter to about half even when I know the fuiel is supposed to be somewhere at a quarter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It starts same as usual. So I changed one of the fuel senders, the one on the fuel filter side but the problem still exists.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Nissan?

Nissan Xtrail NT30

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. So far I cleaned the terminals of the fuel senders, replaced one of the fuel senders. I tried to move the fuel sending units by hand to see if this changes the reading and what I noticed is that sometimes the gauge moves sometimes it does not move until.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Some mechanic told me that I need to replace the instrument cluster though they did not do any tests to come to that conclusion. So that is why I am seeking further guidance

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Hey how are you , I will try to help you with this issue , get a voltmeter and hook up the proper to fuel sending unit, Unplugged from the car completely, use your hand to move the float on sender at that time do you see the readings goes up and down with your hand movement of float ,if it does and consistent then yes REPLACE CLUSTER ,BUT IF IT IT IS INTERMINENT YOU WILL NEED TO DO A CONTINUITY TEST ON THE WIRES FROM SENDER TO CLUSTER IF THEY PASS TO TO CLUSTER CONNECTOR ,IF NO BROKEN PINS ,BACKED PUT PINS,USE A FLASH LIGHT TO SEE INSIDE CONNECTOR ,You are very welcome :)
Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me
Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My
my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted
Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.
Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.
You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue
(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)
or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite ExpertI'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone
Thank You
Chad Farhat