Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My security indicator light turned on and now I cannot start…

Customer Question
My security indicator light...

My security indicator light turned on and now I cannot start my car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

I don't know what that means. I read the whole light indicator section of the manual but didn't see anything about a code. It is a 2012 Nissan versa hatchback

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Nissan Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Versa yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried using a different key in the ignition, I have tried charging the battery/ jumping the car (but the engine won't turn over at all) and I have tried disconnecting the battery hoping that may reboot the system

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The key fob will no longer lock or unlock the doors and the car makes a low buzzing noise when I try to turn the key

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is the security light ON SOLID when the ignition is in the ON position?

No it blinks about 3 seconds

Did you try to jump start the car?

I cannot live phone call because I am not with the car. It is parked where it stopped working
I am trying to figure out alternative solutions on my way to the car (which I should be at in around an hour)

That is find.. That is a automated response

Oh, ok

First thing I would do is try to jump start the car.. Could simply be a weak battery. If you find that jump starting the car it does the same thing and does not turn over. Do you know if you have a Remote start installed in your car?

I did try jumping the car, the engine will not turn over. I even left it for 5 minutes connected before trying again. I do not believe that a remote starter was ever in place. I am the 2nd owner of the vehicle.

I have seen where if you have a remote start in your car, if the battery goes dead or gets weak, it triggers the after market alarm. After Market alarms are installed to control the Remote start. So that would keep the engine from turning over also..

If your not the original owner, when the battery goes dead, this is one way we normally find out it has a after market alarm ( remote start ). I can't tell you how many customers have no clue they have this installed in a car they brought.

Hmm okay. If it is installed how do I get the car to start now?

Another thing I would try is to move the shifter into neutral and see if the engine turns over in neutral..

But I would bring both keys you have to the car and try both remotes. See if either one works when you jump start the car.

If you do find you have a remote start...

I was able to physically override the shifter (by removing the plastic piece and pushing down) and put the car in neutral to roll it into a parking spot. We jumped it from there and tried again in neutral.No turnover. I have two solid normal plain keys and one separate fob with a lock and unlock button and a panic button on it. That is all. Both plain keys have been tried.

1 sec

Well if you have remote start, you would need to find the Alarm control unit. This is normally located under the drivers side dash. I just unplug the one main connector to it. Let me show you a image of what it looks like..

Okay thank you!

It looks like this. The name on it could be different, since there are so many different brands. But if you see zip ties holding wires together, that is 100% a indication something is after market and you just need to follow the wiring to the control unit. Nissan does not use Zip Ties..

Other wise, pay attention to when you try to start the car. If you hear a single click, that is a sign of a bad starter.

I have not heard any click noise, just the same low buzz. If I was to try to locate the alarm control unit, where on the passenger side would I likely find it and how would I access it?

Drivers side.. Under the dash. But if it has a after market alarm, it could be installed anywhere since it's not factory

Okay thank you so much for all of your help. I am going to run through all of this once I get to my vehicle. I will let you know how it turns out or what the problem is if I have to have it taken in.

Sure. Let me know how you make out. I hope it's something simple.. Keep jumper cables with you and may want to try that again also just in case. May have had a bad connection when you did it last.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician