Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a 2005 Nissan Quest and the low beam

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 2005 Nissan Quest and the low beam headlights went out. I got replacement bulbs for the low beam lights, with the right part # (HB4 U 9006) as shown in the owners manual, a but when in took the 1st bulb out to replace it the new bulb would not fit. After looking at the inside of the connection I noticed that the slotting inside was different. Looking at the part # on the old bulb it is not the same, but it's the number for the high beams (HB3 U 9005)? Any idea whats up ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Not yet, I have only had the car for one week & its been awhile since I have worked on any auto, still getting a feel for it. But my question is why the wrong part # in both the manual & the parts store.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Quest yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, just getting the parts & putting the new bulbs in. Also, the old bulb does not look burned out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, about the wrong bulbs being used in the wrong place, low beams for high beams & high beams for low?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, Jake here.I’ll see if I can help. Give me a few minutes.
Has the headlamp ever been replace? Front end collision?You can also replace the pigtails, anything look newer? Are both sides the same?
I just bought the van, have no idea of past. Everything looks org. can't be sure at this point
I just looked up the parts on your van. The bulb you bought is the high beam part# not the low beam.He part that was installed was the correct one.
Lets do this on line.
That’s fine what other questions you have? The bulb you bought was the high beam? That’s why it doesn’t fit.
No the HB4 U 9006 is the low beam by the owners manual & that's what I bought, but the one I removed was HB3 U 9005, the high beam, it was in the low beam socket.
Your owners manual is wrong. The parts database I looked in has them the opposite.
I’m sorry your right I’m misreading your reply. Geeze
Did the previous owner switch the bulb locations on accident. Is the harness pulled back from the assembly
I wondered if that was possible ( the onwers manual being wrong), but the HB4 U 9006 is 51w and the HB3 U 9005 is 60w, again by the manual. Isn't the higher wattage bulb for the high beams? No the harness looks fine as far as I can tell.
I will have to check the high beam socket to see if it is in the wrong place. I hate buying used cars, but money is very tight right now. The rest of the car seems fine, at least for now ?
Check it out and let me know! The only serious problems I see on these cars is timing chain tensioner failures but you would know as it makes noise when starting if that’s the case.
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician