Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Every once in a while - for the last 2 years - and recently…

Customer Question
Every once in a...

Every once in a while - for the last 2 years - and recently 3 times in 2 weeks - I go to start my Armada and nothing happens but a click. It used to be that I could wiggle the mechanism and it would start but that no longer works. It happens in cold and warm weather. It is not the battery and I just replaced the starter and that wasn't it either....

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The clicking noise?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Armada?

2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replacing the batter and the starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No how much total will you charge for his advice?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/1/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

When you get a single click when trying to start the truck, that is a sign of a bad starter. So the starter would need to be replaced to resolve your issue.

The starter is located under the intake plenum in the valley of the block. Now when it comes to starter, I have seen many after market ones not work properly. So I strongly suggest if your going as far as removing the plenum to replace the starter, get the part from the dealer.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

you're suggestion - if I understand you clearly - is that I replace the starter again with one from the dealer?

Yes.. After market electrical parts never tend to last or work properly. Starters and Alternators tend to last a year or less if after market and if you even get one that works.

I thought that was what you meant - the starter was from my dealer but I'll see if it was after market...

Who put the starter in? Dealer or repair shop?

Dealer
But the same issue occurred two days after putting in the new starter. I took the car back and they tell me that unless it doesn't start while at the dealership there's nothing they can do.

If the dealer did the starter, then the part should be OEM. How long ago was it done?

Earlier this week

How often would you say it does it? Every morning?

No - it used to be every few months - sometimes several - but in the last 3 weeks it's happened 3 times. I used to be able to wiggle the thing I turn to start the car but that no longer works

Do you know if you have any after market battery terminal ends?

Single click is normally a starter though.. So it could be a defective part... But if you have any after market battery terminal ends, they can cause high resistance which could affect starter operation as well

I'll ask if they used a used part
It could simply be defective also. May want them to change the starter again
Okay - I guess I'll pick this up tomorrow again. Is there a way we can stay in touch?

Sure.. Just log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to this question

Okay great

Let me know how you make out.