Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Up and down idle and bogs when gas pedal is pressed. Starts…

Customer Question
Up and down idle...

Up and down idle and bogs when gas pedal is pressed

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts fine I just put motor in so don't know about gas but smells like it's burning rich

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2000 Nissan altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried to spraybeverywhere with quick start to check for vacuum. Leaks and found none

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car will red line if brown plug on throttle body is disconnected

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/30/2017
Nissan Mechanic: AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC replied 7 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

If your saying the engine idle goes out and down and bogs out or bogs down under a load, this condition can be caused by a faulty mass air flow sensor or an air/vacuum leak. Sometimes the air intake snorkle from the mass air flow sensor to throttle body gets loose, cracks/rips and or leaks air into the engine after the mass air flow sensor causing a severe lean condition which can and will cause these issues you are experiencing.

I sprayed quick start and didn't find no leaks. Motor was perfect before pulled out other car

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Rather do it through here

Ok no problem. I will leave this open for other experts that may be able to better assist you on line.

Good luck!

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you taper with the TPS or throttle cables? before this happened?

Yeah I installed a complete motor from another altima

Ok.. first off, loosen up the throttle cable and cruise control cable and see if the idle stops surging.

When you did the engine, was it a used engine? Did you taper with the TPS? Such as removing and installing it?

Yeah I removed my original and put on new motor. I heard the new motor run before removing and it ran great with no cel lights

Ok.. You can't just install it. You have to adjust it. Do you have a scanner to monitor the TPS open / close switch so we can adjust it?

Yeah but won't have access until tomorrow morning

Ok.. I work during the day. I am on and off line. So if you want to get to the car tomorrow. What you want to do is unplug the bottom connector of the TPS. Then turn the ignition on. Then load in to monitor TPS voltage and Open / Close. Then loosen the two screws and slowly turn it till you get the TPS to read close and if you just tap the throttle it goes open. Normally it's around 0.48 volt. If you can't get the reading to that measurement, you may have the Tps pin under the throttle pin so you just need to remove and re-position the sensor.

Give that a try and let me know..