Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The key is stuck on the ignition and my car will not start.

Customer Question
Hi, the key is...

Hi, the key is stuck on the ignition and my car will not start. But the batter isn’t dead

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

It’s a 98 pathfinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I can’t turn the steering wheel

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/30/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

if the jiggle the wheel back and forth does anything change? can you get the key to turn?

Nothing changes if I jiggle the wheel and I can turn the key

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

unfortunately it sounds like your ignition lock has failed. It will need to be replaced to correct the issue.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

I was vacuuming my car without the engine on, but everything else was on so I could listen to music. Would the fact that I was opening and closing doors mean that the car locked my key?
It seems more like a security issue to me.

no, that doesn't lock the key. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

I would consider trying a jump start just in case. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert