Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 Nissan Pathfinder. Engine Cranks, but sometimes wont…

Customer Question
2006 Nissan Pathfinder....

2006 Nissan Pathfinder. Engine Cranks, but sometimes wont start. When sitting in the vehicle, I use the key fob to lock the doors (doors lock and horn beeps). I try starting again, and the engine fires up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

It is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. nothing yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Seems to be happening more and more frequently (once or twice a day).

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/30/2017
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. next time you try to start it. Turn the key to the on position and wait a few seconds to start it. see if it starts right up then.

Did you try as I suggested?

hows it going?

I tried over the entire weekend, using your advice. No luck.
But one more piece of information: when it cranks but doesn't start, I hit the unlock button on the keyfob, then the lock button on the key fob, and then try to start it up, and then it starts right up.Any more thoughts?Chris

ok. thats interesting. please standby

when it doesn't start, does the theft light go out?

you mean the red key light on the instrument panel?

yes

?

I am Traveling today not with Pathfinder. I will try in the morning.

ok, thanks

hows it going?

It did it again this morning. After hitting the unlock button and then the lock button, the red key light stays on until the vehicle starts. A few seconds later, the red key light goes out.

ok, but when it won't start initially, does the light go out?

okay.
When I get in the car, the red key light blinks every 4-5 seconds or so.
If I try to start the truck and it cranks but doesn't start, I remove the key, insert it back into the ignition, wait for the red key light to blink again, leave it alone for 6-10 seconds, and it starts up.

ok. the red light should blink anytime you are not in the car and anytime the key is not turned on. try, inserting the key turnig the key on wait 3-4 seconds, then turn the key off then back on for another 3-4 seconds then back off then start it.

hows it going?