Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

All the lights are off... and I can't even get the keys to…

Customer Question
All the lights are...

All the lights are off... and I can't even get the keys to turn the over...... I'm assuming the battery is dead as I haven't drove it for over a week..... but why won't it at least try to turn over..... the key doesn't move anything..... do I have to charge the battery up first to try and start it?? Very frustrating......

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No to either of them.... but I do have a portable battery charger that I have yet to try on it.. but the weird part is why won't it let me try and turn it over??? Is the wheel lock not letting me do that?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2008 maxima I believe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have simply tried to start it.... but like I said all lights are off.... everything is dark.... and I can't turn the car over.... meaning my key won't turn.... where you put the key in the ignition....

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No..... but thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/30/2017
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

does the horn, or headlights work?

No nothing does
The problem is I can't turn the key over

no, thats not the problem. if nothing works, the battery is the problem

you are saying if I charge the battery up I'll be able to at least turn the car over

if you have a completely charged battery, yes

Or if I get a service technician over to the house with a high-powered charger that should be able to allow me to at least start the car and get it to a shop so I can get a new battery

correct

That is so weird I have never heard of that before I have run into the problem before where I've had a dead battery and it just clicks and I at least can try to turn it over but in this case the key doesn't even move anything is that normal

make sure the shift lever is all the way in the park position

Okay will do I'm going to have to call a tow truck to get a charge do I have you all day to talk to or only a certain amount of hours this morning

all day and then some

try pushing the shift lever up all the way and then moving the steering wheel around. shift lock solenoid probably has the key locked

Okay I'll let you know if that works and if not I'll be back asking more questions

okey dokey

Hows it going?