Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 Sentra with p1778 code. Just checked the code only

Customer Question
2010 Sentra with p1778...

2010 Sentra with p1778 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just checked the code only

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/30/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Do you want to just know what the code is or also how to diagnose the problem?

Both
2010 Nissan Sentra 2.0 132k miles

P1778 NISSAN - Step Motor Function;

Possible causes; Faulty Step Motor, Step Motor harness is open or shorted, Step Motor circuit poor electrical connection

The step motor's 4 aspects of ON/OFF change according to the signal from Transmission Control Module (TCM). As a result, the flow of line pressure to primary pulley is changed and pulley ratio is controlled. This diagnosis item detects when electrical system is OK, but mechanical system is NG. This diagnosis item detects when the state of the changing the speed mechanism in unit does not operate normally.

In other words the Ecm has detected that the step motor is faulting.

How would you replace the step motor?

it is in the valve body of the transmission and if you have never done any work on a CVT type transmission then I would advise have a shop do this as you can end up a bigger problem then you have.I just sent a video what it does and where it is.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.