Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a new clutch/flywheel that seems to slip from starts…

Customer Question
I have a new clutch/flywheel...
I have a new clutch/flywheel that seems to slip from starts on any steep hill or when driving the car up on ramps to change the oil. You can smell the clutch disk burning. Never had that happen in the 193k mile I got out of the first clutch.
Noticed the clutch pedal height specs are out according to the service manual and it says to replace the clutch pedal assembly to restore proper tolerance values. There seems to be no clutch pedal adjustments and the service manual says to replace if pedal height, freeplay or disengagement height are out of tolerance.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/29/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What year and Model Nissan is this? Also, did you get the Clutch parts after market?

Hey Jay,
It's a 2012 6spd Nissan Cube. Clutch was replaced at dealer. New flywheel too.
Dealer parts

What year and Model Nissan?

2012 Nissan Cube

Did you replace the flywheel?

new flywheel

Who did the clutch repair? It could be that the clutch system may not be bleed right?

It's been about one year now

Who did the repair? Dealer?

At first I ignored the smell when I'd drive it up on my ramps to change the oil. Thought maybe they got some oil on the clutch disk or something and that maybe with time, it would improve.
My local Nissan dealer did the repair.
Since I got 193k out of the first clutch and had put it up on ramps to do many oil changes without any clutch disk burning smell. Something is different now.
now I did notice that the clutch pedal specs are not all within tolerances and wondered if that could be the issue? Manual says replace clutch pedal assembly if tolerances are out of range.
I know ongoing smell of the clutch disk burning is not a good thing.
It seems to be mostly to do with transitioning from stop to start or on short steep inclines. Not slipping on hard acceleration out on the road. I do know how to drive a clutch as I'm a 51yr old ex commercial truck driver so not new to clutches.

1 min

How is the clutch fluid level?

It's good
Are the clutch pedal specs relevant in your opinion?

The only thing I can think of with out seeing it, that can cause this is if the clutch slave is leaking and saturating the disc

In that case would the burning smell always be present? Cause it's only under the circumstances I described.

It may be more pronounced at certain times. Like when the clutch is overheating.

Is that something I could possibly evaluate in a reasonable amount of time?

I would try to check the bottom of the bell housing to see if you see any seepage there.

Is the fact the the pedal height is way out of spec of importance?

What do you mean way! out?

How far out? Cause if it's out that much, it could keep the clutch engaged.. which can cause premature clutch wear and hot spots on the flywheel

Well H1 Pedal height is 6.0" and the tolerance is 6.83-7.23. So almost 3/4 of an inch less than the low side of the tolerance.
Actually a bit more the 3/4" below the low side.
Seems like they would not give that spec and tolerance if not important.

Hang on..

No prob
Thank you

So I just quickly reviewed the pedal. The pedal has fixed measurements. So it has no adjustment. So if the pedal Height H1 is out of spec, I would assume the Depressed H2 is out of spec?

I did measure that this evening and it seems very close to the 3.15" or more. We actually got 3.2" or so.

That is a good reading depressed.

clutch pedal play, measurement A, I really was not sure what the manual was calling out for the high and low range.

I can share the spec if you like.. Hang on..

Maybe you could clarify the measurement A range if you feel it's relevant?
I see the range for A I just don't understand how they state it.
what are they saying cause those numbers seem like two ranges instead of a single range.

Well if the H1 is out, that can certainly cause drag on the clutch.

The H2 is how much it can release the pressure on the clutch. That i with in spec.

It is out being at 6.0". Can I ask you this? Could that cause it to slip more so on these incline situations than compared to trying to make it slip with hard acceleration? A mechanic that drove it up some hills and said he could not get it to slip. It seems it's more of an issue when transitioning from stop to start on inclines. I feel like I should not smell it burning just putting it up on ramps to change oil. That never happened with the first clutch.

You may want to road test with the technician and show him so he can duplicate it. But if the clutch is slipping, the trans will need to come out to measure and check the Clutch disc, also they clutch slave should be replaced with every clutch replacement as well. Also go through the pedal spec's double and triple checked

On H2 it says 3.15" or more. What would you consider the lower limit on this measurement? It just says 3.15 or more, but what number below 3.15" what be unacceptable?

It reads that it wants the minimum I would say at 3.15, that is why it says that or Better!

Ok, well my dealer has not been too helpful. Kind of was trying to chase down Ideas on my own at this point. I hear what you're saying about the H2 3.15 spec being that or better? So does that same apply to H1 since it's so far out of spec? Would H1 need to be in spec for a complete new clutch to preform as new?

I would certainly work on getting the pedal into spec. If you still have issues, then the clutch may need to be redone. But I would check all it's measurements first once removed. Also some shops have a year warranty. So if the dealer did the work, you may want to inquire on the warranty of the clutch..

Guess I'm sorta screwed then. It's a bit past the 12 months and the dealer really has no answers. H1 spec has to be corrected by replacing the pedal assembly according to the manual. If you were doing my clutch would you replace the pedal assembly if it were out of spec as I've stated?

Did the Dealer do the work? or a local shop? How may miles were put on the car since the clutch was done? How many miles did you say you had on the car? and at what mileage was the clutch done at?

The Nissan dealer did the work. Original clutch went to 193k, now car has 216k. So a little over 20k miles since this new clutch.

So you have one strong thing to your case.. You obviously know how to drive a stick to get 193k miles out of it. So they can't say your not driving it right.

So I would let the dealer do some basic checks and you may want to speak with the Service Manager and explain your case to him and see if they will help you

Well you'd think, Right? Fact is today the mechanic tried to say I was maybe unknowingly riding the clutch. Kind of wanted to understand why H1 being out seems to be uninteresting. I'm a machinist these days and when there's a tolerance, we as machinists assume it's necessary to adhere to. Otherwise it needs to be explained as to why you would ignore such tolerance.

I would think that if you got 193k out of the original clutch, that if you were a clutch rider, it would never get that far.

I can't really start over with the clutch and the dealer here is far from awesome. If you were me, would you spend for the clutch pedal assembly in hopes or restoring the H1 height value and possibly solving the burning disc smell or do you think that is a long shot and that something else must be wrong too?

Well regardless, I think the clutch has issues. It could be a defective part, or it could be the clutch pedal. But to determine which, I hate to say it, the trans would need to be removed to inspect the clutch

Is checking the tolerances of the clutch pedal assembly something you'd expect a mechanic to do in the scope of doing a complete clutch job?

I would double check everything after I am done. Pedal height, I have come to just do it by feel since I have done so many. But I always did in the beginning. Been a Nissan tech for 27 years..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Well, it sound like you're probably a good mechanic, but in all honesty it seems like I need to lead the guys I'm dealing with and even at that, they are not really offering answers or solutions. I've done a few clutches on older american cars as well as some motorcycles so I have an idea, but the clutches I've worked on always had pedal adjustment points. You never had to replace the entire pedal assembly to maintain any tolerances. If this is what needs to be done, well so be it, but so far, no one really can offer a solution.

Those older clutch systems were all cable operated where this system is all hydraulic. The clutch slave is actually part of the throw out bearing. So they should have replaced that with the clutch as well. So the pedal normally is not as important now. It just has fixed tolerances and has no adjustment. The only adjustments are the clutch switch. But that is not tampered with during clutch replacement.

Slave was replaced too.

That is good.. it should have..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician