Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It makes this rattling like sound when I crank it and while…

Customer Question
It makes this rattling...

It makes this rattling like sound when I crank it and while I'm driving. It sounds as if I have cans or something under my hood.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Well I would say from under the hood because it does it when I crank it too. It has been doing this for about 4 months now.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2014 Nissan Altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I haven't done any work to it all. And I haven't tried anything. I actually took it to the Nissan place to get the oil changed and they said everything was fine with my car. But yet it still makes this noise.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 6 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you have a check engine light on or anything?

No I don't

Ok, what this actually sounds like is either the alternator or a problem with one of the timing chain tensioners. Sometimes they fail and allow the timing chain to rattle which sounds like the noise you are describing. If it's more common when the car has been sitting overnight then I would expect the problem to be with the timing chain tensioner. Sometimes changing he oil does quiet it down for a bit, but if it didn't last long then the tensioner is probably the issue.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you have more questions for me?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician