Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I got some problem with starting of my 2005 2.5 Altima. It…

Customer Question
Hi, i got some problem...
Hi, i got some problem with starting of my 2005 2.5 Altima. It wont start sometimes. It happened 3 times those days. All three times are after i came back from a store,(after short time parking at the lot, then came out from store), it just wont start. When i rotate the key, it crank, but cant start, sound like "dudududu", just like something is blocking the engine to prevent it to startup. keep trying doesn't work, then drain out battery, got jump cable and wont help. But in the morning and right after stop, it can start very well. Last week went a store and got starter changed, not solve the problem. One people who help me for jump start said sounds like fuel issue, he just turn off turn on the key, again and again, the car started.
By the way, two time are happened after i refill my tank.
Also, some other issues are exists, when i push the gas hard to do fast speed up, the car acts like asthma, just feel like going to misfire.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/27/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Is the vehicle manual or automatic transmission?

Hi, Eddie. Its automatic. 2.5

Alright, likely this is a fuel supply issue, as spark to the spark plugs will not usually come and go on this model. Is the check engine light on now when driving?

last week got a long tripe, when i was on the highway, try to passing cars with deep gas, then the "service engine soon" lights come out. But that was thanksgiving day, so i wasn't able to repair it. after two day parking, the"service engine soon" lights is gone. Then i drive back to my home. It wont start on the tripe after i refill the gas.
check engine light is not on after start the car

Alright, you haven't had the vehicle scanned for codes yet by chance have you?

not yet. but i bought a code scanner yesterday, i will receive it tomorrow. since last week, that mechanic ask me 350 bucks to change the starter and won't solve the problem. i want to change to someone else and try it myself first.

I understand, It sounds like fuel delivery or fuel pressure related to me, Spark to the plugs usually won't come and go. Could be mass air flow sensor, if so, you will have a code stored. Definitely check the codes first. and see what codes are stored. It's not the starter because it cranks, but it won't start. See if it will start with starting fluid sprayed directly into the air intake, If you can make it run with starting fluid, then that tells us the fuel pressure is likely low. in my opinion it will either need a fuel pump, or a mass air flow sensor to fix it, barring any really odd, intermittent alarm or security issues or an engine computer or ECM. The codes and checking the fuel pressure will tell us alot. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Sure, definitely will read the code first. In this case, can we leave this question open for a day, and i may need your help for the code reading when i receive the code scanner.

Absolutely, let me know what you find there.

Hi,sorry for the delay.
I just received the code scanner.
The code it showed is P0171(System too lean).Any idea?Also, i guess something related to fuel, when i on idling, the car feels like going to flameout.
Hi,Additional information.
P0171
P0171 System Too Lean
Engine Load: 57.25%
Engine RPM: 2950 rpm
Throttle Position: 17.25%
Speed: 118km/h
Long term fuel% trim---Bank 1 :36.72%
Short term fuel% trim ---Bank 1 : 0.78%
Engine Coolant Tem: 92.00C
Fuel System Status: 2)Closed loop: using O2 sensor for fuel mix.

Running too lean could be lack of fuel pressure, or a vacuum leak downstream of the mass air flow sensor. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, but a vacuum leak wouldn't really cause a no start condition unless it was a huge vacuum leak. So I would check fuel pressure next, and then look for smaller vacuum leaks. Could also be mass air flow sensor but I would need to monitor that real time with an advanced type scan tool to see whether or not it was reading correctly.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician