Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Knocking from engine. I notice the top radiator hose get…

Customer Question
Knocking from engine. I...

Knocking from engine. I notice the top radiator hose get tight immoderately after starting, however never over heated and no coolant in the oil

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Top of engine and one day

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

1999 Frontier ext cab

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Removing spark plug wires don't seem to change it. Check for metal and water in the oil-found none. No I'm not going to fix it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It takes a lot of battery power to crank it over

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/25/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

The reason the radiator hose is getting tight is that the cooling system is getting pressurised from either a damaged head gasket or a cracked head. You don't have to have coolant in the oil to have a bad head gasket. That was usually the case with the older american v 8 engines. How many miles on the truck? Is it the 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

It's a 4 cylinder with 130,000 miles.

Well the mileageis nothigh and these are good engines. At this stage a certan amount of testing has to be done on the engine. I see that you are not going to fix it yuorself. Do you have a mechanic that has worked on your truck before? If so he will probably check the coolant pressure first to see if the headgasket or head is damaged . Head gaskets become weak over time,due to the high pressure of the engine compression they can leak compressed air into the cooling system. This is what causes the hose to get hard. The noise you are hearing is related to this.I hope this helps, but it looks like you are going to have to get some engine work done on your truck.

thank you