Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The key is broke off in the ignition cylinder and can't get…

Customer Question
The key is broke...

The key is broke off in the ignition cylinder and can't get it out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

Yes we have a back up key.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

95 Nissan pickup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pickup yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are doing it our self but I haven't tried anything yet.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/25/2017
Nissan Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 5 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

The best thing to use to get the broken piece out is a welders tip cleaner. The wires in the cleaner will have a spiral to them and when you side it along side the key you can put side pressure on the wire and pull the key our. It is not going to be easy, and will take several attempts but it will work its way out.

Thank you I will go and try that.

You are very welcome.

It didn't work.
I tried the welder's cleaning tip and it didn't take the key out.

Can you get one of the cleaners in on both sides and pull outward so the broken piece has something pulling on both sides? You are going to want to wedge them in so there is enough pressure on them to hold on to the key piece.

I tried different things I just don't know what to do.

Are you sure the switch is in the off position? Also turn the steering wheel so it locks that way there is less pressure on the tumblers so the key can slide out. It is not going to be an easy thing to do and will take some time.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech