Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Titan. just changed the battery but sounds like a dead…

Customer Question
2005 Titan. just...

2005 Titan. just changed the battery but sounds like a dead battery when I turn the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I took it back to Auto Zone and had it tested and it tested good. i have changed the battery once about 5 years ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix it myself. i cleaned the cables and made sure everything was tight. i also checked a fuse that said ignition on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/24/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

So you are hearing rapid clicking when you try to start it?

Ok, since the battery is new, we know that's good. I do realize you cleaned the terminals and cable ends, but you should also check the cables the whole length for any swelling. If you find swelling, then that means there is corrosion under the cable. If the connection on the negative cable where it connects to the engine is dirty, it may be affecting the ground for the starter. If these look good, then you will need to replace the starter. On this engine it's up top under the intake manifold. They don't normally do rapid clicking when they are bad, but sometimes do.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you need more help with this?