Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Xterra stalled out in traffic, started back up very…

Customer Question
2008 Xterra stalled out...

2008 Xterra stalled out in traffic, started back up very slowly, now VDC light stays on, check engine light stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far, trying to get an idea of the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Vehicle has 156k, no problems other than replacing brakes and battery

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/24/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you mean the engine cranked slowly or it cranked normally but took a while to start?

Engine cranked normally but took a while

Ok

This is usually a bad crank or cam position sensor. When it loses signal the truck can stall and have trouble restarting. This will usually cause the VDC light to come on with the check engine light. Most parts stores will scan the codes for you at no charge, I think you will find it's one of the sensors I mentioned. There are 2 cam sensors, so it's best to get the code to know which bank needs to be replaced. If you want to get the code and post it here with me, I can supply locations and so on for the codes.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!