Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2015 pathfinder that hasn't been serviced in a while.

2015 pathfinder that hasn't...

2015 pathfinder that hasn't been serviced in a while. coolant beyond low. power steering fluid beyond low. mild clicking sound from under the hood just recently started. coming from the area near the power steering fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Doesn't seem to be a failing power steering pump which has the whining noises from what i've read. i started hearing it even while going straight. at first i turned the ac/heat off, but still a little clicking sound. fluids haven't been checked in six months.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm two hours out of town and i'm very nervous driving it. i'm considering topping off the power steering, coolant, and oil tomorrow. i have another car where i can get to a nissan dealer for "nissan genuine" fluids

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm also recently seeing a big haul of bluish (i think) smoke upon startup. i know i'm overdue for maintenance but couldn't get in before this trip. we're at 48K miles. lots of road miles

11/24/2017
internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am Brandon - Nissan tech.

Yes, you need to top off the coolant , power steering fluid and oil to the max level.

I'm assuming you could purchase these fluid at the local auto store?

The blue smoke is most likely from the oil seal due to lack of maintenance.

The Pathfinder manual claims that i need genuine E-PSF fluid. Is there an equivalent available from O'Reilly's (or other auto parts store)? The manual also says I need genuine Nissan blue coolant. Same question -- is there an equivalent available from O'Reilly's?

Since you have another car it is best if you use Genuine Nissan fluid.

I would recommend you to get the dealer fluid because Nissan added their additive formula in their fluid.

internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
ok.

The fluid from O'Reilly is made by a different manufacture with general additive in there. It will work but it is not recommend for Nissan. I would only use aftermarket fluid for emergency only. Thank you.

Got it.