Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 nissan xterra has been having problems after

Customer Question
My 2003 nissan xterra...

My 2003 nissan xterra has been having problems after installing new cats. Was running okay but that starting choking out. Now it will not go into reverse or 12 overdrive?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

No but my son said it probably needs fuel injectors and filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was just stopping even while on the freeway

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/22/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician replied 5 months ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Are you saying the shifter will not move or while in gear even reving the engine it will not move.

the shifter will not move into 1 and 2 drive or reverse, but will go into drive and neutral

In drive will the vehicle move?

Will the vehicle start in neutral since you cannot get to park?

oh it goes into park, and still starts in neutral , someone said it was probably high low reverse solenoid

This concern is no going to be electrical issues within the transmission. This is a mechanical issue at the shifter, linkage, or manual valve in the valve body of the transmission. Set the parking brake and scotch the wheels so it can not roll. From under the vehicle disconnect the shift linkage and see if you can manually shift the vehicle to all gears, engine off. If so then have someone with the key on, engine off move the shifter to see if it too will move to all gears. If it will not then you need to take apart the shifter for an inspection. I have to run in a bit but will return much later tonight.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Nissan Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician