Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2005 Nissan Armada - when I open door after remotely

unlocking via key fob, alarm...
2005 Nissan Armada - when I open door after remotely unlocking via key fob, alarm starts going off and won't start.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Are you fixing your Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried holding key to the left (counter clockwise position) in the door key cylinder for 15-20 secs. Tried turning key in ignition
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you tried a different set of keys ?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
First off, texting is fine unless it also costs more money. I'm fine with chat and I'm a fast study with whatever directions you need to give me. I'm relatively proficient with mechanical directions. I have not tried a different set of keys yet, but that's because they also caused the same response a couple months ago. I can change the batteries in the other key fob and try that now. Note that I already changed the battery in the fob that I was initially using.

the key would be the only change as the computer is not recognizing the chip, the fob will stay programed regardless of the battery, if you do try a different key make sure your 1st key is atleast 10 feet away from vehicle and other fobs or keys

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay. I had the negative cable off of the battery before I started this session with you. Once I put that back on, the alarm starting going off immediately. I got it to turn off somehow, then came back in and read your last comment regarding the 10' distance requirement. I then separated the Armada keys by more than 10' and attempted to access the vehicle with the other set of keys. Alarm started again immediately. After getting it off again (somehow), I locked the door and noticed that the NVIS light stays solid when the doors are locked; while it blinks when the doors are unlocked.

is there a red car with a key in it blinking?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The red car with a key in it only blinks when the doors are unlocked; it stays solid when the door is locked.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Do you need me to try anything else?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are you still there?

so that means the car dosent recognize the key and will need to be towed to the nearest dealer to have the keys reprogramed, it happens a lot to nissan/infinity

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I was hoping you wouldn't say those exact words. Just to be clear, does the vehicle have to be present for the reprogramming sequence, or is it possible to simply bring the keys to the dealer to get reprogrammed without the vehicle?

vehicle and keys, all keys and fobs have to be there and if you are going to get them programed it would be a good idea if you want another key or fob to pre purchase it and have it cut so they can program it while your there

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay. Well not what I was hoping, but appreciate your expertise in troubleshooting towards an eventual resolution. Before I go, though, is it possible that the keys can reset themselves after a while? Like if they've been away from other key fobs or sources of interference, can they somehow reset? It seems like I've had this issue before and it worked itself out over time.

you can try to do a reset on the system but disconnecting the battery cables neg then positive touch both together and wait overnight, reinstall positive then negative and use the key thats not been giving you as much trouble and see if it works that way

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you, Shawn. God bless and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! 5 stars coming your way!

hope everything works out! thanks for the great rating! happy holidays!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician