Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My wife's 2017 Nissan Rogue door locked with the Intellikey…

Customer Question
My wife's 2017 Nissan...

My wife's 2017 Nissan Rogue door locked with the Intellikey inside in a purse under the seat with our 3 year old granddaughter locked inside the car in a car seat that the 3-year old did not know how to release herself from. You can imagine the distress for the 3-year old when security had no tools to open the door. A security guard had a baseball bat and attempted to break the other passenger window and the lock released and they were able to rescue the 3-year old after more than 10 minutes locked in the car. Nissan manual says this will not happen and my wife relied on this So what happened?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

1700 miles. No.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rogue yourself? What have you tried so far?

What are we supposed to fix? An Intellikey that does not work?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/21/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear about this issue but can certainly explain why this happened. The key being in the Purse, that is not the problem of why it happened. It's the fact she put it under the seat. That took the remote out of range to be detected. Once it's not detected, then you can lock the car. I hope that explains why this happened so this won't happen again.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this.

Thanks Jay!

That is not stated in the Nissan Manual for the Rogue, dude. You made that up. Sorry, ain't buying that. Says you cannot lock key in the car.

We do lock outs by putting remotes under the mats. You are more than welcome to contact Nissan about this issue. I understand your frustration.

You can reach Nissan at 1-800-Nissan1. Tell them what you told me, and I am sure you will hear the same thing from them.

There is a antenna in the car that detects the remote. If you put that remote in a range under the seat, in a purse. Those two conditions can keep it from being detected.

So I would contact Nissan and talk with them. I am only a tech. I have done lock out's so customer can pick up their car with there remote in the car. Nissan I am sure can give you more info if you require it.

They wrote the owners manual. So if this is not stated in it. You need to take it up with Nissan them selves. Not the dealers or the Techs. So I would use the number I gave you and talk to them about it.