Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

09' NIssan Altima when weather gets below freezing. The car…

Customer Question
09' NIssan Altima when...

09' NIssan Altima when weather gets below freezing. The car will not attempt to turn over to crank. Have been dealing with this for years. I get the yellow key light on dash. Nissan was supposed to have replaced the original ESLC. I just replaced it with a bypass I bought off of amazon. It is doing like it has for 3 years now. If it's cold it will not attempt to turn over. Also, Before changing the ESCL NIssan replaced the brake pedal switch once before when it wouldn't start at all. Now I only have problems like i said when it's below freezing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Little of both... read original statement. haven't had any issues until today when it got below freezing during the night.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What are you referring to as the ESCL? Do you even hear starter click during problem? Thanks.

Electronic Steering Column Lock - nissan had replacement warranty on them. Forums say that yellow key light on dash is from bad ESCL. I carried it to nissan and they said they replaced it? All that happens is the dashboard lights come ON. nothing else. it doesn's attempt to turn over. I hooked an OBD reader to it this morning it gave no error codes.

What engine do you have?

09 nissan altima 2.5S 4 cyl
After it warms up and temp gets above freezing this will go away.

I​f having the ESCL replaced didn't help at all then I suspect the Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IPDM)​ has failed. The ESCL sends signal to the IPDM then the IPDM activates the starter. Modules are also more likely to be effected by temperature. This is about a $600 repair and needs to be reprogrammed after being installed. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Well, I'm not sure the ESCL has anything to do with it not starting. That was the initial thought from reviewing forums on the yellow key light on the dash showing up when it wouldn't turn over. I can't carry this to a dealer and get them to duplicate the problem. Because where I am from it doesn't get that cold to many times a year and after the sun comes out and warms up there issue goes away. So by time dealership starts working it's already too warm. I would rather not start with $600 suggestion based off of the ESCL. . So ignoring the ESCL... if I just started the question with why would Nissan not turn over in below freezing weather. Also, it's not just that it drops below freezing it's kinda like when it snows but doesn't stick because the ground is still to warm from heat absorbed during the day. Same way with car, it has to really be that cold not just dip below and come back up. Any other suggestions.