Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Temp gauge decreases when driving, heat does not get warm

car drives rough some JA: Have...
temp gauge decreases when driving, heat does not get warm car drives rough some
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: checked no small leak somewhere, but level good. Leak seems under metal sheild
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 99 altima
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: had to replace altinater 3 months ago and short in horn somewhere
11/19/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

So I understand this, if you are parked, the vehicle will start to over heat? But if you drive, the engine temp moves into the normal range?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No. It never overheats. Just heat does not get real warm and the temp gauge goes real low to below cold on dash when I drive

Even after you have been driving for a while? The temp gauge stays cold?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
when heat is on

When the heat is off, does the gauge read normal? Does the heat work properly? Does it blow cold when stopped, but get warm as you drive?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
reads normal. Heat not cold, just not real warm and gauge shows thermometer goes real low to bottom. It does not overheat. Thought thermostat, but now read could be temp sending unit. Not sure.

It sounds like it's the temp sensor. I was just going to say that. On the upper radiator hose inlet on the engine, I believe that is where the engine temp sensor is located for the gauge.

Let me double check.. Hang on..

Yeah, its on that upper radiator hose housing off the engine block..

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you so much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4xvsv79f17ffsq/1%20Temp%20sensor.jpg?dl=0

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician