Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a high mileage 2008 Altima 3.5. last couple months,

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a high mileage 2008 Altima 3.5. last couple months, started getting a noise from passenger side right in front of floor boards a rubbing grinding noise. So it does it when I accelerate. doesn't do it if I put in neutral and rev engine, after driving 10 to 15 minutes seems to fade out and go away. Don't notice any loss of power or surging of power while happening, don't feel it in the shifter or in the steering wheel. its getting to where it does it louder and for longer now adays. Kevin

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Definitely right front of passenger front seat and for 6 months. Have replaced all berings and new cv axels.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. as I said , have had mechanic, replace berings and cv axels and also did timing chair .

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/19/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This sounds like it could be a rear engine mount. When in gear it would vibrate the front sub frame which you would feel through the floor of the car.

So I would have the Engine mounts checked for your issue. Engine Mounts would only make noise when the vehicle is in gear and the engine flexes.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!

Why would noise dissipate go awsyafter 10 15 min of driving. Warm motor soften rubber on mounr??

after 10 to 15 mnis of driving, the noise goes away completely?

After car sits parked for couple hours it will do it again as I start for period again.

Do you know if the AC is on or Air is on when it makes this noise?

no ac not on. ive tried to narrow it down. doesn't relate to brakes. not motor. in park or neutral rolling rev motor nothing. only when in gear and when I accelerate even slowly. rub/vibrate growl. last about till cars warmed up 15 minutes so and is all but gone. maybe hear tiny bit now and then. quiet. When it is doing it mostly in morning, it will do it in response to a small bump in road also . car in neutral rolling nothing. in gear accelerate . in gear no accelerate nothing. recent repairs., brakes, timing chain, suspension, and tie rods.. berings, did top motor mounts year ago. ????

How long would you say this noise has been going on? Before those repairs? After those repairs? That is all new info..

Let me know..