Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Its a 2011 Nissan Altima and it started fine, but now when

pressing the power button, the...
Its a 2011 Nissan Altima and it started fine, but now when pressing the power button, the engine does not shut off.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: The engine is running.
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's my daughter. She is outside running an errand.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
11/18/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is normally caused by one of two things. Either a software glitch, where if you can stall the car so it shuts off and and disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then start it and see if it starts and shuts off properly. That would resolve your issue.

If you still have issues, then you have a BCM issue and the Bcm would need to be checked and replaced. When the Bcm is replaced you will need to have all keys present as well.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
How would an automatic transmission Nissan Altima be stalled?

What do you mean? I thought you couldn't shut it off? Are you asking how to get it to stall?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I mean how would my daughter (she is driving and has stopped and 45 min away from me) intentionally stall the car?

Pull the fuel pump fuse so it stalls out. That fuse is under the hood. But you also run the risk of it possibly not starting once you do that also.

So make sure you stall the car in a safe location

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
OK. Will advise her to come back home and then try to find where the fuel pump fuse is etc. Thanks for the information.

Your welcome

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician