Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 Frontier needs frequent coolant added but passed a

Hi. 1999 Frontier needs...

Hi. 1999 Frontier needs frequent coolant added but passed a pressure test. Totally overheated a few months ago when I didn't know coolant was low. Otherwise runs well. Possible sources?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes. No visible leak; Passes a pressure test. I top off coolant weekly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a retired Honda mechanic who has maintained it for years, but he doesn't want me to put any money in the truck. I need it for dump runs etc. So I'm doing what I can myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just stumbled on this on the web. Is there a fee coming up?

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Nissan Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

"the rest"?

11/18/2017
Nissan_Service
Nissan_Service, Service Manager

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise of what type of pressure test was performed. Thanks!

I don't know what to say. He put a small gizmo on the tube coming out of the radiator and left it on for an hour. Said pressure did not go down so not a leak.
thanks. I'm going to take it to a Nissan independent; get it done right.

Ok, thank you. That is a cooling system pressure test. Since this test produces no leaks, you either have a faulty/sticking thermostat (allowing the engine temperature to rise too far; this causes the coolant to be expelled from the overflow bottle. Or, you have a slight seepage at the cylinder head gasket. The gasket, if seeping, will allow coolant to enter the cylinders and be expelled thru the exhaust.

I would recommend a cylinder head gasket integrity/pressure test next.

If you do have any questions, please reply. If you are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

Nissan_Service
Nissan_Service, Service Manager