Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2015 Murano Platinum tailgate won't open. The manual button…

Customer Question
2015 Murano Platinum tailgate...

2015 Murano Platinum tailgate won't open. The manual button in the glove box is fine. Took to a dealer the first time & they reset it on computer. Quit working after 3 days. Back at the dealers & service says it will be $3000 to replace possible latch, or motors on both sides &/or controller. Need 2nd opinion

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Approx 45000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Automatic No fixing myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Want to know if this sounds about right? Or could there be a simpler &/or cheaper way to solve the problem? Anyway to use it manually without fixing?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/16/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you with this.

So it sounds to me like they are guessing instead of diagnosing exactly what is wrong. Since it worked for awhile after it was programmed and then stopped again that tells me it is most likely a calibration issues with the motors/latch assembly. Whenever I see this issue I always start by replacing the latch and retesting, usually that takes care of it.

I would recommend calling a local independent shop and get a price quote to replace the latch and then go from there. There is no way this should be a $3000 fix unless the rear was in a collision and damaged everything