Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 Pathfinder VG33 engine that stalls when the engine

Customer Question
reaches operating temperature, never stalls...
1999 Pathfinder VG33 engine that stalls when the engine reaches operating temperature, never stalls when the engine is cold.
Already replace the Distributor assembly but the problem persists. The engine idles perfectly at 750-800rpms with no hesitations whatsoever it just randomly stalls when at idle just like if you turn the key to the off position and if I try to restart it does starts with no problems at all and is just a matter of minutes until it stalls again, it only does this with the hood close or this is what it seems to be doing.
any ideas besides the IACV because I´ve already clean it along with the throttle body plate. I even install a brand new crankshaft sensor just to find out later that the 1998 R50 model doesn´t uses a crank signal but instead it only relies on the Distributor signal to control both ignition and fuel requirements. The engine didn´t have a crank sensor installed on it and my guess was that this wasn´t the problem because the car was working fine without it for the pass 10 years or so in my possession but since it didn´t have one and it had the little hole to put it on I just decided to get a new one installed.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
forgot to metion that the problem is frequent only with the hood closed, if I let it idle with the hood open it never seems to stall.
The only code It got when I first begin trying to fix the problem was the P0100 but it never show up again since I clear it about two weeks ago.
11/16/2017
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Have you cleaned the MAF yet?

I did

ok, now, with the engine running. remove the oil filler cap and tell me if you feel suction

I will get back tomorrow with the answer on that as the car is not near tonight

ok, thanks. Ill be on all day. Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

there is no suction at the filler cap with the engine running

no suction is good.

when it does stall after it is warmed up have you noticed where the temp gauge is sitting?

at normal operating temperature range just before the middle of the gauge

do you have a scan tool that reads live data?

I have

compare the temp gauge reading to the temp readout on the scan tool

car temp gauge just before the middle of the marker and the scan tool reading is 84 degrees Celsius

that is good then. Im going to open this up to the others. Im out of ideas. please dont reply back or it will take the question off of the board.

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Looks like the original expert felt he could not help you. So I will take over. Can you tell me the fuel trim readings at idle when warmed up?

I will go right now and scan it and get back to you later with the fuel trims but I have notice that even when I have the engine rev-up to 3000rpms after 1 or 2 minutes it stalls also, just like if you turn the key to the off position and when it does this I just crank it up immediately and it does start with no problems, then I repeat this procedure and it does it all over again. This stalling problem just happens when the engine is fully warmed up at about 20 minutes or so idling and with the hood closed, if I let the hood open it never does this.
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago

Ok.. I will be online later so let me know what codes you have...

LONG TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK1 -10.16%
LONG TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 2 -10.16%
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM BANK1 0%
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM BANK 2 -11.72%
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM B1S1 0%
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM B1S2 99.22%
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM B2S1 -10.16%
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM B2S2 99.22%
Codes are: P0100, P0325

These are all signs of a bad MAF sensor. Did you get the Sensor after market?

I just clean it and inspect it for any broken wires but it seems fine, do you recommend trying with an aftermarket brand and if so which one would you recommend?

I have not seen a after market one work.

your bet is to get a OEM MAF sensor? can I test it with the scaner? it can read live data or any other method? its not a cheap part at more than $400 so I don´t want to buy it just to find out this wasn´t the problem.

Yeah.. These older Pathfinders are hard to determine when a MAF sensor is not metering air properly. But if you had a MAF sensor code, a after market one won't work, you need to replace it with one from the dealer.