Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car will not go out of park. I was driving it earlier and…

Customer Question
My car will not...

My car will not go out of park. I was driving it earlier and struggled to get it out of park once I turned it on but didn't think anything of it once I go to put it in park once I get home it wouldn't go up past reverse so i finally got it into park now it won't come out of park

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Yes brake lights and everything is going fine. Nothing out of the normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2012 Nissan Sentra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Removing the plastic beside the park on the shifter to use to relief to press down and see if it would move and it wouldn't

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is most commonly caused by a bad Shift Lock Solenoid. This is what releases when you put your foot on the brake pedal so the shifter can be taken out of park. So this solenoid is part of the shifter assembly. So the whole shifter assembly would need to be replaced.

In the mean time, you can still use the Emergency Release to get it out of Park so you can drive it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puN4GkZMtwE

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!