Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My convertible top got stuck when I was opening the top....

Customer Question
My convertible top got...

My convertible top got stuck when I was opening the top.... we finally got trunk open with key and thought we had the cargo shelf back in place but now it won't do anything can't drive it because it is not opened completely and the alarm is going off. is there a way to disable and raise the top manually

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

No... it was working fine until then. we put something in the trunk and then when we lowered the top we got two beeps as if there was an obstruction. Trunk wouldn't open with key fob so we used key and saw that the cargo shelf was bumped out of place. repositioned it and it clicked into place... but now we aren't getting any sounds when we hit open or closed.... doesn't even sound like the motor is engaging. It was just shy of locking in the open position when we got the obstruction alarm

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Convertible?

2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a shop - but they've never seen a car like this... I saw on your tech sight where it said to disconnect the battery both terminals and hold them touching for two minutes.... said that would reset ?? but I was scared to do that. I have extended warranty on the car - but can't get my dealership to call me back and drove it over there and they said i had to make an appointment

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all that I know of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/13/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 5 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

There is really only one thing we can try to see if we can get the roof to respond and start operating and that is a hard reset. That is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins.

Give that a try and let me know what happens...

didn't work... but he had both terminals disconnected. Does that make a difference?

You need to do it for 15 mins. Not a few mins.. Did you do 15 mins? That time allow the hard reset to take..

he said it was for 15 minutes... but like i said he had both terminals disconnected. He is going to just disconnect the negative this time and make sure it sits for a full 15 minutes.
is there an easy way to switch to manual open and/or close. I just need the dang thing closed so I can drive it... I can't get the dealership to call me back...

There is no manual operation..

the owner's manual says there is. and I specifically asked before i purchased the vehicle if there was a way to overide and make it manual for this specific reason. So what else can I do...? and what exactly do you think the problem could be. I have never had a problem with the top before..... it only happened when we shifted the cargo shelf
There is no manual way. The only way to operate the roof is with the dealer scanner. I have a video.. hang on and let me show you
Salesman should have never told you that. It is not true...hang on
it says it can't be OPENED manually.. but it says it can be closed manually... That is what i need. I can deal with a closed top that doesn't open.. but I can't deal with an open top that doesn't close. And the salesman and/or the dealership that I purchased the car from have been very very rude and not at all helpful. It's like they don't want to deal with it because as they say "we've never seen a car like that!"
if you can send me the video - maybe i can take it to the idiots at the service department and they can watch it and figure it out. So for clarification you are saying that the ONLY way to do it is to take it to the Dealership. Another auto mechanic can't do it?

This is how you operate the roof manual.

The number one cause of this is when the battery is weak. So if the car has the original battery, that battery could have certainly cause this. Batteries tend to last 3 to 4 years.

okay.... and only the dealership can do this correct? I can't take it to another mechanic (I honestly hate dealing with this dealership - but will if its the only way)

If you can find another shop that has the Nissan/Infiniti Scan tool.. They can do it. Other wise no other shop could do it.

Plus once you get it operating, then you need to do a convertible top relearn. This calibration allow the control module to control each function of the roof properly.

ok... well i sure hope the dealership or someone can get it closed.... I don't know if my mechanic has that scanner or not... he said he did check the battery and it appears to be fully charged.
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician