Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'm having some issues seating my new distributor back into…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm having some...

Hi, I'm having some issues seating my new distributor back into the engine. I have the rotor positioned correctly at cylinder 1, but when I insert it, it stops right before the o-ring, and I can't budge it any further. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

About 70,000 on the engine. It's a 5 speed transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '70 Nissan?

It's a 1996 Nissan 240sx SE Trim. 4 cylinder engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 240SX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I removed the distributor according to the instructions in the manual. I have done the following: Removed the spark plug and spark plug wire for cylinder 1 to determine if its on the compression stroke (thumb over the spark plug hole and cranking the engine until I get compression), then I turn the crankshaft pulley to get to TDC (2nd notch on the left), then I removed the old distributor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The old distributor was fairly hard to remove and I needed to pry it out with a screwdriver. Getting it out by hand was difficult.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/13/2017
Nissan Mechanic: tracker40, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
tracker40
tracker40, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, are you aligning the marks on the base of the distributor shaft?

I believe so, but assuming I'm not, how would I determine that?

bear with me so I can send info, Back shortly

what you are doing is correct but when you align to #1 on dist? you then have to line the indents up at the base of the distributor, Now, that may NOT be why it is not going in all the way. Possible you will have to sand the shaft as well as light sanding where the dist is inserted since you said hard to remove then put some vaseline or grease on the shaft to help slide in easier, There is nothing else that can hold it up from not going in all the way. It will go in then you trun it to re align rotor close to pointing at # 1. I have attached a file but you will need to scroll down to wher it shows how to set distributer

Please use the star rating at top of page to rate my service I have provided. Thanks