Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Frontier 270k miles..... First winter I have no

Customer Question
2000 Frontier 270k miles.....First...

2000 Frontier 270k miles.....First winter I have no heat....... Here is what I have done and what I knowParked on dirt mound front end very high to burp let run 30 minutes still no coolant thru the heater lines... I took them off and DRY
Replaced Thermostat still no coolant going thru heater lines.....
Water pump is working as I have flow thru the radiator and even pulled upper hose off to verify.... give rpms and flow increasesPulled thermostat to make sure it wasnt the problem.... reassembled with no thermostat.....
Pulled radiator it was a bit of dirty water when I flushed and shook it.... its fairly new very clean no scale and fill the radiator by pluggin bottom outlet with hand remove hand GUSHES out...
Ran sprayer from hose to heater core..... water flows thru both ways....
Sprayed water in each line..... with one hose hooked up the water flows thru the core.... with each line unhooked water flows back and overflows radiatorRadiator is newer and not plugged
Water pump is pumping water
Thermostat is removed currently to eliminate it as a causeboth heater lines not connected.... water is flowing through the system BUT not thru the heater lines ( I can inject water into them but water does not flow out of them)The heater lines come off the back of the motor and I cannot see anything.... they feel like straight out of motor and straight into the intake..... this seems like some sort of valve issue?? But I cant find anything that says there is a valve in 2000.... not until 2005 and then its clearly visible.....I was messing with it trying to get air out intitally..... all of a sudden one line flowed water and I plugged it into the heater core and it stopped..... Its not an air lock Im sure of that..... I am at a loss.... winter no heat or defrost HELP

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read what I wrote sheesh

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Nissan
11/12/2017
Nissan Mechanic: eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 5 months ago
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

2.4 or 3.3L engine?

3.3 sorry thought I listed that my mistake

Ok, give me a few minutes to review the schematics

HI,

Ok, the path the coolant takes to the heater hose is thru the cylinder head to the intake manifold to the heater hose.

At the manifold, it splits where the coolant goes to the heater core and the throttle body.

You either have a plugged passage in the cylinder head or the intake manifold. If you remove the hose at the throttle body and have flow, then the cylinder head has flow to the intake, but there is a plugged passage in the intake before where it exits to the heater hose.

ok..... as I said I did get it to flow once..... but it was very brief
I will go check now.... be right back with report

ok, sounds good and will be here

Eric.... quick report.... I took out the bleeder on top of the intake plenum and squirted water down the hole and water flows out the heater hose that goes into the heater core....So there is the hose that connects to where the bleeder screw is and right next to it is another hose that drops below into a metal pipe. there is a nipple coming off the port where the bleeder screw is.... I took that hose off and squirting water in nipple water comes out the same heater hose as when squirting in the nipple ..... squirting in the hose that goes on that nipple water comes out the other heater hose..... a little rusty for just a momentRight next to that hose/nipple/bleeder is another hose that drops into a metal line does that one carry water? Where can I try and force water back thru to break up any deposits???
there is the hose that connects to where the bleeder screw is and right next to it is another hose that drops below into a metal pipe. there is a nipple coming off the port where the bleeder screw is.... I took that hose off and squirting water in nipple water comes out the same heater hose as when squirting in the BLEEDER oops ..... squirting in the hose that goes on that nipple water comes out the other heater hose..... a little rusty for just a moment

Ok, that is the water outlet housing. If you remove the thermostat housing, you can flush the block, cylinder head and intake by running water thru the thermostat outlet. It should come out the water outlet housing. Or back flush thru the water outlet housing and will come out the thermostat outlet

thermostat is in the bottom hose....... I can run water down the radiator neck ( hose nozzle) and it squirts out the bleeder
I can unplug either heater hose and run water into each ( hoze nozzle) and water squirts out bleeder
I connect all hoses and nothing comes out bleeder.......
I pull the upper radiator hose and let it run into the radiator fill and water is flowing clean and good
when I only have the bleeder out I do have the cap on

Hmm, gotta say I am stumped on this one. I am going to open it back up to other experts to see if any sees something I or you are missing

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 5 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The most common issue is that the coolant system is not bleed properly. Let me describe how to bleed the coolant system and lets start with doing that..

Hang on while I type it

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

This bleeding process will take a hour to a 1 1/2 hours. So it's not a simple top off the coolant and go type system.

Here are images of what the coolant bucket looks like..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie9hd5eokv4h91d/fill%20rad.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfyf02tj6idpsjq/Fill%20Rad%202.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9ikwcx9k0jkvkd/fill%20rad%20bleed%20coolant.jpg?dl=0

Give that a try and let me know how you make out..

Jay..... I cannot get water to flow to the heater core...... that is the issue
I am working with the vehicle on an incline ( like ramps) I had fashioned a coolant type bucket and worked with it well over an hour 2 days ag0
I can squirt water in and get flow coming out of the bleeder but I cannot get water to flow out of the bleeder by the water pump or come out the heater hose supply line the heater hose supply line and the return line are not blocked

You may want to try draining the coolant system and back flushing the coolant system and then the engine to see if you can clear the block. Are you sure the t-stat was installed the correct direction?

jay did you read all that I have written??? The thermostat is not in the motor right now as I am only trying to get water flowing thru the heater linesthe thermostat is out
the vehicle is at operating temperature
I can run water into top hose and it pours out the bottom thermostat housing
I can run water into lower hose ( thermostat housing) and it runs out the top hose
I can blockoff top hose and running water I can get water squirting out the top of the plenum by removing the bleeder on top at the nipple location
I can force water thru each heater hose with cap on and get water out the bleeder
I can force water into radiator and it flow thru the heater core..... verfied by removing both heater lines at the heater coreI can see my water flowing the whole surface of the radiator is hot so I know its not plugged..... I put on cap and only have the top bleeder on the plenum removed and water ( cool) will dribble out there ( no bubbles) until I give it some rpms and then no more dribble.... as soon as I release to idle water will squirt out the bleeder hole and then dribble.... but not the HOT water that is circulating thru the motor

If you have the T-stat out.. Did you try using a hose and back flushing the engine and Heater core?

I am very mechanical and there just doesnt seem to be anything that should be preventing flow here...... I am about to tee into the upper radiator hose and run a line from there to the heater core since I know I am getting which should put hot coolant into the heater core and use one of the return lines to put it back into the motor since I know they both flow
and just plug off the supply line but I would like to solve the issue correctly.
I back flushed from upper hose and lower hose ( t stat housing) and get nothing but clear both directions
there isnt a valve or a diverter on this motor to allow coolant to flow when heat is required correct???

I am talking about taking one of the hoses off the back of the plenum that goes to the heater core and back flushing that way... and also back flushing the heater core..

Correct.. There is no valve.. But the T-stat does play a major part in coolant operation.. Here is the coolant flow chart from the factory manual..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czx69srjq2eqxev/1%20coolant%20flow.pdf?dl=0

You must not be reading what I am writing..... I unhooked both heater core lines...... I sprayed water in the nipple by the bleeder and water came out the bleeder.... I put the bleeder in place and squirted water in the nipple and water came out one of the heater hoses... I then connected that hose to the heater core and water came out of the heater core.I then sprayed water into the hose that goes on the nipple and water came out of the other heater hose.... I then hooked that line up the the heater core and water came out of the nipple.....So the heater core circuit is correct and flowsseemingly from the cylinder into the intake whereever the HOT water enters into the heater core circuit there is either a valve or a blockage thats all I can surmise......When I was trying to bleed the system a few days ago before I got into all of this diagnosis.... I got HOT water gushing out of one of the heater core supply lines 1 time...... quickly plugged it in and it quit flowing.....

I may not be understand what you are doing exactly...

When did this problem start? Out of the blue? after engine repair?

Also keep in mind, the t-stat helps build pressure. So you should keep that in..

How many miles are on the truck also?

It got cool and I turned on the heater for the first time and had no heat. I purchased this truck this summer and never tried the heat.I immediately replaced the t stat thinking it had stuck open..... then began running hot ( upper hose hot lower hose cold).... boiled the new thermostat and the old thermostat and the new one was barely opening and the old one worked perfectly.
So to eliminate an issue I flushed everything... the radiator is newer.... water ran clear through it.... I shoook it and got some black water out briefly I figured some sediment from old coolant when they replaced radiator sediment in bottom9 no particles) .... the radiator surface gets hot EVERYWHERE so its clean and flowingWhen I flushed the heater core I got some black water ( no particles) as water had been sitting in it not curculating....
the motor flush had only clear water.....
truck has 270k
water flows well... if you give rpm the water flows... really well
I can reinstall the old thermostat.... it seems to begin to open at about 175 and full open at 180ish
there just isnt any sensible reason that I cant get water to flow out the bleeder at temperature or dribble or flow out of a heater hose while I have flow going thru radiator..... I even removed the upper hose and KINKED it which would FORCE water the heater hose route and nothing came out of bleeder or hose

I totally understand your frustration. Just wondering.. When was the water pump last changed?

That I cannot say.... It has been cooling and functioning properly
with the upper hose removed a good stream comes out and when given rpms it REALLY FLOWS well..... when cap is on and everything up to temp you can squeeze the hose during idle and if you give rpm the force of flow is strong enough that you cant keep it squoze
the fact that cool water is dribbling from the bleeder when the rest of the coolant is HOT.....something is not letting the coolant reach the heater circuit

I hear ya.. I understand it flows well, but I am just wondering if the water pump is able to produce enough flow for the engine, but it can't build enough pressure to push through the heater core..

Has the intake plenum ever been removed that you know of?

I dont know that it has been removed.......
I was going to just replace the water pump but then discovered its behind the timing belt etc etc etc tear down nightmare

Do you know when the timing belt was last done? Cause it may need to be changed as well

the waterpump housing looks cleaner than rest of motor and the piece the pulley bolts onto is super shiny so I am assuming its been replaced

Can't always assume. I am wondering if there is a restriction in one of the coolant piping which leads to the back pipes which goes to the heater core..

you mean after it leaves the plenum???
or from the cylinder to the intake/plenum
this is why I had the idea of just putting a tee in the upper hose and putting HOT water from there into the heater core

There is a coolant passage in the plenum that leads to the back of the engine which goes to the heater core..

there is no way to check that without removing the plenum I expect?

Correct..

weird thing tho is the idle is perfect.... on the throttle body doesnt it also have an idle circuit that operates off coolant temp?

There is a Idle Air Control valve that coolant does pass through

ok..... lets assume that the heater wasnt used for quite some time and the aluminum in the plenum oxidized and created a blockage...... what additive can I put in the water to dissolve? I wouldnt assume that its rust

Coolant would still sit in the tubes. So it's not like you can put some kind of additive to the coolant. If the pipe did build up some rust or develop a restriction, it would need to be replaced or repaired.

but how to determine which tube? or whats plugged? I cant seem to find any stoppage with a garden hose

That is why I would remove it and flush it to check coolant flow.

remove the plenum?
is there a gasket or just sealant? can you show me a diagram of the plenum so I can identify all bolts
should be relatively easy to remove correct?

The hardest part of removing the intake plenum is the EGR nut, and the back coolant hoses

Hang on, let me see what I can find on that..

what do you think about teeing in a hose off the upper radiator hose?

I don't suggest it..

what baffles me is that one time I got hot water flowing thru the heater hose but only once and it just happened out of the blue
as soon as it started flowing I of course plugged it onto heater core and it quit

So you pull a heater core line off and you get no flow?

At all? Nothing?

i can top off the radiator..... and coolant is flowing as usual.... pull off heater core lines and NO FLOW at all
at all.... nothing if I spray water in those lines it comes out the bleeder on plenum if its out and out the radiator cap if bleeder it tightened down

That is a direct line from the intake manifold.

So you can have something in the intake causing this..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician