Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It will crank, the battery light comes on, the brake light…

It will crank, the...

It will crank, the battery light comes on, the brake light comes on. it idles in park but will not drive or reverse. engine runs but when gas pedal is pushed it wont me

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

The brake fluid would not affect the vehicle drive forward or reverse would it?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2008 Nissan sentra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Don't know where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is not a check engine code

when placed in drive it will not go and will not go in reverse. the engine does not rev up in drive, but will in park
11/9/2017
Nissan mike
Nissan mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello this is mike an expert from just answer and a master tech at a nissan dealership. with your 2008 nissan sentra please check your charging voltage out put from your alternator. if not within specs of 13.5 to 14.5 please replace your alternator and test your battery after doing this repair. if you are satisifed please rate me and know u can ask as many questions as you like.

would the alternator keep it from going driving when put in gear?

Yes when the charging voltage is not enough it will no allow the proper amps to be sent to the shift solenoids inside the transmission very common issue.

is that why the battery light has been coming on and off last few days?

Yes correct that is why the battery light and brake light would be comming on. if you wait too long it could also take out your battery and need replkacement i would not wait to replace the alternator.

Nissan mike
Nissan mike, Auto Mechanic
thankyou
You are very welcome please rate me and you are always welcome to ask any questions on this post for free one you rate me thank you have a great day
Is there any other way to check altenator, i dont have a tester. Maybe crank it and discoonect battery to see if it still runs

Im sorry that will not work and could destroy the ecm the engine computer. you would need to get tested auto zone offers that free of charge.