Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cylinder 1 misfire with knock sensor 1 circuit high. changed…

Cylinder 1 misfire with...

Cylinder 1 misfire with knock sensor 1 circuit high. changed sparks, wire set, distribution cap, rotor. Still comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Cylinder 1

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2003 xterra V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra V6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to. but I know my limitations. everthing I listed, i did myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had pep boys do a fuel injector clean as well. Only thing left for me to try now is clean MAF sensor

11/6/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs did you install?

Ngk

Thank you.. If you used NGK spark plugs and you are still getting a P0301 code, then the issue is most commonly due to the Distributor it's self causing the misfire.

So the Distributor Assembly would need to be replaced to resolve your issue. I strongly recommend you get the part from the dealer. After Market ones never work right.

ok. I did change the dist cap and rotor. you still think its the entire distributor?
What about MAF sensor?

Yes... It's common for Distributors to cause misfire issues when they fail. The MAF sensor will not cause a Misfire code.. It would cause a Fuel system Lean or Rich code.

i see the distributor is basically on bolt. Seems like a easy install although i guess i need to get it timed. Would it be possible for me to do this or do you strongly recommend a mechanic in a shop. I know you have to place back in exact spot. Im i missing anything?
still there?

Yes.. Sorry..

The distributor is secured by one 12 mm bolt. When you replace it, it will require a timing light to set the timing after you replace it.

Ok, I will have a shop do that. Anything else i need to look out for when putting this in?

Not really. Injectors Never go. The Distributor is the most common when these trucks getting older..

if i do this and i still get the same codes. then what?

Then you need to do a Compression Test and Cylinder Leak Down test on that cylinder..

shouldnt i do the test first before buying a $300 distributor?

Your welcome to. But to be honest, Distributors are more common.

ok

Do you have any more questions on this?

I think thats almost it. Is there a specific brand or just have to go to dealer to get distributor?

If you get it from the dealer, you won't have to worry about this issue again for a very long time. Figure that the original Distributor is 14 years old, you would get another 14 or more with a dealer part. After Market electrical parts tend to last a year or less if you even get one that works..

Damn. probably expensive though

Let me check.. hold on..

ok, great

$250..

ok, last question. is there a trick to getting that cable off. (looks like a slide lock) but mine does not seem to slide to remove

The connector? It's a Pinch lock connector. There is a Tab you press to release the lock and then you pull to release the connector. You also need to remove the distributor cap first and take note of where the rotor is pointing so when you install the new one, it's pointing at the same point.

ok, thanks. I think im done. does this conversation get saved so i can still see and reference

Sure it stays on your JustAnswer account. So if you would like to return to review it, you only need to log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to his question to review it.

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
alright thanks. have a good night.

Your welcome and Have a good night also, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com