Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Nissan sentra brake and battery light come on and

2004 Nissan sentra brake...

2004 Nissan sentra brake and battery light come on and engine won't rev above 11oo rpm, when rpm's drop to around 600 the brake and battery light go off

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

I did change the calipers and rotors brake fluid is not at max but at lower end range this broblem has accured in the past and always when raining with lots of humidity the other two times aftyer along time the car just started working fine again

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just let it sit there till the weather changed , the battery alls was drained and had to be recharged before the problem started

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Battery and alt. was running around 16v when hot when problem is ongoing there is always a battery drain somewhere

11/3/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

If you have a Brake light & Battery light on, that is a indication that you have a charging system problem. Meaning the Alternator. That is what is also causing the car to go into limp mode due to low system voltage.

The charging system should only be at around 14.3 volts when charging. With all loads, no less than 13.8 volts.

If you are measuring 16 volts, the computer is shutting systems down to protect them from high voltage.

This way it won't damage any electronics.

So what I recommend when it comes to Alternators for these cars is not to get them from any Auto Parts stores. Those alternators never work right. Sometimes right out of the box as well. If you do get one that works, the average life span of a After Market Alternator is a year or less.

So I suggest you get the part from the dealer. This way you know it will work properly and last you many more years.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

I put the voltage meter probe under the red rubber boot of alternator and black on engine and reveived a reading of 17.60 v when engine was warmed up

Wow... You are big time over charging!!!

With voltages like that, the computer is shutting things down to to High Voltage to protect it from damage. You need a Alternator I am afraid.

Payment failed for the Premium Service. We can continue like this if you like and if you have any more questions.

Other wise, I would try a different credit card if you would like to use the Premium Service and speak with me.

okay I'll fill brake fluid and get new alternator , no need for phone call, i guess this problem can be intermttent is this correct

The Brake light comes on with the battery light. Don't worry about the brake fluid..

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician