Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2012 Nissan Titan SV Crew Cab Door Lock actuator is bad. I

2012 Nissan Titan SV Crew...
2012 Nissan Titan SV Crew CabDoor Lock actuator is bad. I have a new one ready.I can't open the door. All the cables are stuck.Live phone call(###) ###-#### I already paid once and it's been hours with no response.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/20/2017
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, have you removed the interior door panel and tried to manually open the lock actuator from inside the door?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The panel has been off. I was pulling the top cable to get in and out until I could get the new part in. Now the cable doesn't work and door is stuck closed.

you were pulling top cable from the inside door handle? or the rod from the key cylinder?

You may need to put the top rod in the unlock position again before the cable will work

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there are three cables that come out - two horizontal and one vertical. The vertical one was opening it when pulled. The other two haven't done anything. Both the vertical one is stuck. It stopped working a week ago but only got new part today. If no cables are working is there a workaround to override the actuator and get the door open?

Thats the exterior handle cable, the door lock rod is right behind it.you may have to move it for the cable to operate the lock if it got moved to the lock position accidentally.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it is unlocked but the cable doesn't move what is the next option?

There is no way to override a failed actuator because its failed internally from an electrical or mechanical standpoint. You can MANUALLY work the latch off the striker with the door panel off unless its seized.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would I accomplish that?

worst case scenario on some of the side impact collisions, we cut the striker at the latch and swap out the striker since its cheap.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Slicing it with a blade through the outside crack of door?

depends on the door type. Hatches are way easier that method, when its an offset door a small cutting wheel at the inside actuator works great. Small air grinder.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ugh...so much for DIY.

but if you look at the actuator, it should have a v not in it where the latch for the actuator is. IIf you can work a chisel or flathead in there you may be able to get it open that easily.

I pulled up my diagrams on your titan. Definitely best to try and work the latch manually from the cables if possible. Since you have a crew cab if its a front door just open the back door to try and get to it easier.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been. What if I still into it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Drill not still

I mean you can drill into it, just not sure it will help much. Probably be easier to knock the plastic shroud off at the notch to get a view of the latch if your gonna come from that angle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, that didn't work. I took a drill and busted out the lower guts. I was able to catch the linkages inside with the bit and it cycled the door open. The door is now reassembled and a little stuff but working as advertised.
Well done! I’ve walked quite a few guys through this scenario. First one I have seen use a drill to get to it though!
If you need anything else just holler, happy to help.
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician