Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Problem 1998 Infinite I30 with 246,000 mi. Replace Cam

Customer Question
Good Morning....

Good Morning. problem 1998 Infinite I30 with 246,000 mi. Replace Cam sensors and still get the code CAM sensors need replacing. Thereafter did a tune-up and replace fuel filter. Car runs great in Park however when driving the car the cuts-off when I come to s stop and when I put the car in neutral. I know it has to be something electrical.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took the car to a auto repair shop. I was told that the car code shows that the car is randoning mis firing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think the problem is some type of grounding. The cam sensor has been replace 3 times

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
10/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What is the exact code you are getting? Also where did you get the sensor you installed?

Dont have the code I believe it was P304, parts cam from autozone and autoparts.com

P0304 is a misfire code. Do you mean P0340?

It shows that the car is randoning mis-firing
This was after 2 coils had been replace.

If you are getting a misfire code, what brand spark plugs do you have in the vehicle? Is it running ruff?

I believe its NDK
NGK

Does it run ruff?

NO , It runs fine while it is running. just cut off when I come to a stop and sometimes when it is in neutral

Do you notice it stalls only when coming to a stop?

whats going on i haven't gotten a response

I responded asking for more information at 8:07 and have not heard back from you. I asked if you noticed if the vehicle only stalls when coming to a stop?

I said Yes, dont know why it didnt get it
It only stalls when I stop and sometimes when I put it in neutral

Don't know.. What I would start off doing for stalling issues when coming to a stop is to clean the throttle chamber first. With this vehicles age, the throttle chamber can develop build up which when the throttle plate closes and coming to a stop can keep air from entering the engine which could cause stalling when coming to a stop.

So what you want to do is remove the air intake duct, and pull open the throttle and with throttle cleaner and a old tooth brush, clean the bottom and top of the throttle. Then re-assemble it. It will be hard to start after you do this, but once you get it running, it will smoke for a few seconds and I am sure you will notice a improvement..

Lets try that and let me know how you make out.. Ok?

this does not make sense but I will give it a try

I know... But we need to stick with some basics first..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician