Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It wont start. It'll turn over but wont start. Theres no…

Customer Question
It wont start. It'll...

It wont start. It'll turn over but wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Theres no spark at the plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

What model Nissan is this please?
Engine size as well?

Pathfinder, I don't know the engine size

Ok, but it's a 6 cylinder and not a 4 correct?

I can work with that, they didn't make many with the 4 cylinder, but they are out there.

6 cylinder

How did you check for spark?

Took out a spark plug and touched a screwdriver to it
it was running lean on #1 and high on #2

Ok, thanks for the info.

I would pull the distributor cap and have a helper crank the engine as a first test. You want to see the rotor turning when the engine is being cranked. If it's not turning, then the timing belt is broken. If it is, then we need a test light to run some checks on the distributor. It's a common issue to have a bad distributor in these. Lean condition shouldn't do anything to the spark.

Check the rotor and let me know please.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you need more help with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician