Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

It's a 2000 frontier and i just discovered the tail lights

it's a 2000 frontier and...
it's a 2000 frontier and i just discovered the tail lights and the cargo lite have remained on now for about 24hrs. The brake pedal doesn't activate brake lites .... What's up?
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: What do mean check bulbs and connection? The vehicle was inspected earlier in the week.
JA: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i've hit the brake pedal repeditivly with light switch on and off and with motor running and off.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: was wondering which fuse would break that circuit
10/1/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Thanks, let's do.

so you have a shorted out brake switch or a brake switch stop, fuse 22 in the drivers side fuse panel will turn it off you can also go under the dash and unplug the brake switch until you get a new one that will turn it off as well, you want to inspect the brake switch resting position where the brake switch end is located, there should be a little rubber stopper there if that is not present replace that and try hitting the switch with your fingers to see if that stops the brake lights, if not the switch is shorted.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Shawn.

Shawn, that's fuse 22 starting from the top left and going down or across? Will remove it for now.

let me see if I can find a diagram for that im going off a schematic, be right back

this should do it , there also might be some numbers next to the fuses

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Shawn, I'm sorry, the box is numbered. I pulled 22 and broke the circuit. how much roughly will it cost to replace that switch? And does that switch have anything to do with the cruise control ? It stopped working a week or so ago.
we still together, sir?

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/beck-arnley-201-1450-brake-light-switch?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImMeurbDO1gIVVlqGCh1eSQ4oEAQYAyABEgK-SPD_BwE&fit_id=9915&Year=2000&Make=Nissan&Model=Frontier&gsID=pxf846324f9915&

here is the stop switch, make sure though the rubber stopper is in place though before you replace anything and test switch with voltmeter, and yes it does effect the cruise control as well, and thank you for the great rating!

Thanks again and you're welcome!
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician