Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am having trouble with Nissan Qashai for last two days…

Customer Question
I am having trouble...

I am having trouble with Nissan Qashai for last two days engine malfunctioning light is orange and loss of power whilst climbing hill

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Not really

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Nissan Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Nissan?

Nissan Qashai 2015 N-Tec

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing really that all I am having

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/29/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

OK if you're getting a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

But I am getting the power loss whilst climbing the hill.. what would that be caused by ?

Ok

if the power loss only occurs when climbing a hill then its possibly fuel starvation

could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you