Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bought a 2007 maxima, the visor mirror on the passenger side…

Customer Question
Bought a 2007 maxima...

Bought a 2007 maxima, the visor mirror on the passenger side was yanked off and the fuse for the interior light (when doors open, dome light? ) was remove. I think it's because it shorted out the circuit. My wife accudwbtly put in. 20amp fuse and she see sparks and the visor started to smoke up. She remove the fuse immediately, a couple minutes after that the visor caught on fire, then some wiring on the front passenger seat catch on fire as well. I had disconnect the battery, I'm afraid with the battery connected, other things on that circuit can catch on fire, even though we pull out the fuse. Right now, we don't care about the dome light not working. We just want to make sure that we can drive the car without anything else on that circuit will catch on fire. What's your suggestion

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes, manual doesn't help

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, remove fuse and disconnect battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, fire started after removing the fuse

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Nissan
9/29/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 10 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question. If you removed the fuse from the circuit it should stop. The interior lighting is on a timer in the BCM though. You might need to access the burnt wires and tape them up to be safe.

Well, that's whats confusing about it. The fire on the visor and the passenger floor started AFTER the fuse was pull. Which boggel my mind. I've been working on my own vehicle for 15 year and can't understand this

gimme one second

I actually see 2 fuses (fuse 1 and 2) in the interior room lamp circuit.

and the illumination circuit is different all together.

Right, the illumination is working fine all this time.So you're saying that there's two fuse for the interior room, which mean that both of the fuse HAS to work in order for the interior lighting to work. That means that I have to pull both of the fuse, instead of one, is that correct?If so, do you have a pic or diagram of fuse 1 and 2 so I know exactly what else I have to pull

fuses 1 and 2 are right next to each other. when you look at the fuse panel on the left row of fuses it is the bottom 2

Ok, thank you

If you need anything else let me know please.

if not just remember to leave a kind rating.

Just check the fuse that you advise me to pull. It's label fuel injector and intelligent keys. I don't think that's the right one
Just check the fuses that you advise me to pull. It's label fuel injector and intelligent keys. I don't think that's the right one. Fyi , this is a 2007 maxima